Saturday 17 November 2012

Winter Snowflakes Canvas

(This post is part of my Frosty Festivities Blog Event)

I've seen spray painted canvases on various blogs, and I've been waiting for the opportunity to do one of my own! 

My resulting white canvas looks lovely and frosty on my living room wall:


Here it is from start to finish:

Step 1: I had an old 8" square box canvas, that I had once sponge painted with green and yellow squares, but I didn't like it very much anymore:


Step 2: I spray painted it with matt white spray paint, and while it was still wet I gently pressed a piece of kitchen paper on to it, to take off some of the paint that was too thick, and to leave a pattern:



Step 3: I left it to dry for a couple of hours, then repeated Step 2. And then after a couple of hours I did it again. If you've started with a white canvas you won't need so many layers! After these three coats of paint, the canvas looked like this:


Step 4: Once it was dry, I then hot glued on a selection of chipboard alphas and snowflakes. It was a great chance to use up some odd alphas!:


Step 5: I sprayed on one more layer of paint, quite thickly this time, and again pressed some kitchen paper on, but only around the chipboard elements, not on top of them.

I like that because it looks cold and frosty, it makes my wall and room feel even more cosy in contrast!


Be Inspired:
  • Make some winter wall art
  • Use the contrast of striking white against cosy red
  • Mix up some alphas but paint or alter them so they match in colour

Don't forget that a comment on this post, or on any of my posts from this weekend, will count as an entry into the Grand Giveaway {NOW CLOSED} - but only if you've registered your interest in winning that here!

I'll be back soon with the last post of the day! x

26 comments:

scrappyjacky said...

I've seen these on various blogs and admired then as well....yours is lovely.

Lisa-Jane said...

That looks fab Jennnifer! Just to let you know that I posted about the blog on the JYC forum as there were so many posts about possible preparations etc. I hope it brings some new traffic. x

humel said...

Great idea! I've been meaning to make a canvas myself, and was thinking of making it all white - thanks for the reminder and added inspiration :)

K said...

I love doing canvas' but usually do them for the kids. I like the kitchen paper pattern, I would have been worried it would stick a bit but it looks fab

Lesley G said...

Adore this idea...

alexa said...

What a clever idea to use the paper for texture! It is just lovely.

dogmatix said...

I'd never thought of spray paint before. It looks good :-)

Annie Claxton said...

What a good idea to use kitchen towel to create texture - and to paint odd alphas and shapes to match each other - overall effect looks brilliant :o)

Lou said...

oooh i like how you used kitchen roll to add texture. brilliant idea x

Sandie said...

Your home must be beautiful with all these wonderful ideas. It's a good way of using alphas & elements.

Miriam Prantner said...

What a great idea for adding texture - a really striking piece.

Jackie said...

Love the canvas! Terrific idea with the kitchen roll!!

Margie said...

I love it-turned out beautiful!

Ashley Calder said...

Fun project! I definitely need to try one of these sometime soon. :)

Ashley.
ashley.calder@gmail.com

scrappymo! said...

That is a stunning reno on that canvas!

Julie Baswell said...

I like this. I wonder if it would work using cereal box cardboard patterns.

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is way cool! I hadn't ever thought of this but I do have some chipboard bits lying around that I could use for this sort of project.

Zahra said...

This looks gorgeous on your wall! Great way to recyle an unloved old project and it looks stunning

hotpotato said...

fab idea with the kitchen towel

Fay aka Beautifullily said...

I keep meaning to try this idea.

Scrapdolly said...

So clean and simple - I love it
I have a pile of canvases and this has inspired me to get one out and play

Maria Ontiveros said...

REally nice - I love the idea of spray paint to cover old canvases. Sometimes gesso just doesn't work.
Rinda

furrypig said...

ooh I never thought I would be able to do a canvas but your brill instructions make me think I could manage this one! Great effect with the pattern from the kitchen paper and love the contrast against the red wall

Marilize said...

Ooh - I love that! I'm a tactile person and absolutely projects that rely on one colour, but varying textures. And if it looks classy to boot it's a total win for me.

So total win :)

Katie said...

Wow - love this idea. I am going to pin it and might have a go with a silver themed canvas :-)

Fay aka Beautifullily said...

I've been inspired to make a new canvas - you can see it here - http://beautifullilysramblings.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/frosty-festivties.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...