Saturday 17 November 2012

Ho Ho Ho Festive Plate

(This post is part of my Frosty Festivities Blog Event)

I love entertaining around Christmas time - lots of gatherings that require buffets of food, and board games! One way to set the scene is with some unique tableware...

Ho Ho Ho Festive Plate:



This plate was so easy to decorate, I'm planning on a few more to fill our festive table!

Here's how it's done...

You will need:


  • A Porcelain Plate - I bought a cheap one from The Range
  • A Black and a Red Porcelain Painter Pen - mine are by Marabu
  • A Pencil and a damp piece of Kitchen Paper

Step 1: Clean your plate thoroughly. Draw your design onto your plate, using a pencil. If you make any mistakes wipe them off with the damp piece of kitchen paper, leave it to dry, and then try again. Check to make sure that you have the right number of lines on the outside edge of the plate, so that the red and white srtipes will alternate:


Step 2: Go over your pencil lines with the black porcelain pen. Again you can wipe off mistakes with a damp piece of cloth, but you have to be quick before the paint dries:


Step 3: Colour in between the lines of alternate sections on the plate edge, and inside your letters. I found it easiest to draw a line at the top and bottom of the section, and then go up and down in straight lines in between, to help the paint blend smoothly:


Step 4: Leave the paint to dry according to the manufacturer's instructions - mine had to air dry for 24 hours and then it's dishwasher safe:


Just looking at it makes me feel festive - I can't wait to fill it up with mince pies!

Be Inspired:
  • Decorate a piece of tableware - if you don't have any porcelain or glass pens you could make a placemat
  • Put red and white stripes onto your next project
  • Use the phrase 'Ho Ho Ho!' on a card or layout

Don't forget that a comment on this post, or on any of my posts from this weekend, will count as an entry into the Grand Giveaway {NOW CLOSED} but only if you've registered your interest in winning that here!

Do you already have any special plates or glasses that come out just for winter or Christmas?

I'll be back soon! x

30 comments:

Margie said...

This is so much fun! I love it!

Annie Claxton said...

Wow! what a fabulous idea - I didn't know it was so easy to do - so many possibilities! I'm really enjoying following along in between chores - the "be inspired" are great :o)

humel said...

So much inspiration - I love this! We don't really have special Christmassy crockery, but we do have certain serving dishes that we don't need unless we're dishing up a big spread - ie at Christmas :)

scrappyjacky said...

These are such a fun idea. We do have some rather precious Portmerion Holly and Ivy tableware that only comes out at christmas....but probably best kept away from small children!!

Jackie said...

What a super idea! Never tried this...thought you would need special crockery!! The children would love to have a go at this!!

K said...

I have christmassy mugs, I'm also on the look out for christmassy glasses that are dishwasher safe, maybe I should try something like this on glass instead

dogmatix said...

Love this. My nieces and nephews did a similar thing with mugs for us all last year :-D
We had a tablecloth that would only come out on Xmas day.

Karen said...

I've collected quite a few holiday serving pieces but never thought of making my own. This one is adorable!

MiniOwner said...

What a fun idea!
Sue x

Scrapdolly said...

I had never heard of porcelain pens and may just have to search those out

Lesley G said...

He he, great idea!

Missus Wookie said...

Oh now - how did you know I'd just uncovered my bag of porcelain markers and thought, 'hmm should use them!' Thanks for the tip on the range, was going to try IKEA too :)

I do have plates/bowls with Christmas patterns, bought in a closing down sale and I love bringing them out. Only have enough for four tho so no guests :)

Julie Baswell said...

So cute. I just might try this.

vixen said...

Wow stunning plates, Must try those pens out x

Lea Lacoste said...

oh LOVE IT, need to try this asap!

Zahra said...

You've made these look so simple! My children would love to make a Christmas plate, too!

Sandie said...

These are a lovely idea. I may have to make some for Christmas, my granddaughters would love to help me!

Lisa-Jane said...

What a great activity for the children too! I've heard (but not tried) that you can use Promarkers like this too.

Lou said...

i thought you festive plate was a brought one until i scrolled down!! I've used these pens on mugs but never designed a plate. Amazingly effective.....love it x

Miriam Prantner said...

What a fun, easy project! Would be fun to do a birthday plate too!

li-bee-ti said...

Too cute!

To boldly polish said...

I have a set of glass plates with snowflake patterns that I use during the holiday season.

hotpotato said...

what fun.

KraftyKaren said...

Gorgeous plate - thanks for the inspiration, I have just made this card - http://kkfantasticplace.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/ho-ho-ho.html
Karen x

furrypig said...

ooh lovely festive ho ho ho plate! I have only ever done this at one of those crafty shops where you paint then come back a few days later after they have been through the kiln.... yours is even better as it could be done at home.

Fay aka Beautifullily said...

Such a simple idea but very effective

Lizzie said...

We want to come and join in at your house! Love the plate - it's a great idea (why didn't I think of it first... hmmm...).
I like the paint pens - a nice alternative to china paints, which can be a bit messy.
Thank you for sharing your fab idea!

Maria Ontiveros said...

I remember my kids making these - thanks for the trip down memory lane!
Rinda

Marilize said...

I have some plain white cups that will looked quite awesome with some hohoho work done to them :)

Katie said...

The plate is so cute! I've seen on Pinterest that you can use Sharpies on some china and then bake it so might have a go at a Christmas themed side plate like this using sharpies. Then it will be the perfect plate for Santa's cookies on Christmas Eve :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...