Saturday 17 November 2012

Using Circles on Christmas Cards

(This post is part of my Frosty Festivities Blog Event)

When I'm making Christmas cards, or any other batches of cards, I prefer to make each one differently, purely because I get really bored doing the same thing over and over again! The only trouble is that it can take a lot longer, because I have to do so much thinking before the next card. Usually I'll make some cards that are similar, for friends - these cards might just have a different colour or sentiment but the sketch and supplies will be the same.

For close friends and family I'll take the time to think. But to make it a little easier I'll choose a theme for myself to follow. For this trio of cards the theme was circles:




It was easy to find a selection of circles in my Christmas stash. There's something about circles that fits so well with Christmas - it's the shape of wreaths, and baubles, and snowballs. I've followed a different technique on each card to place the circles, and they're techniques that you could come back to again and again.

Technique 1: Scatter them:

Supplies mostly Pink Paislee City Sidewalks

To regular readers it's no surprise that I like the scattered circles look, I usually achieve it with gems on my layouts and cards. Here I've used ephemera and chipboard pieces, of varying sizes. Using a variety of sizes really helps to achieve the scattered look, if the pieces were all the same size your eyes would be trying to find the pattern and make them match. 

It also helps to place some alike colours near each other, and some separate - if you separated all the like colours then it would look too deliberate, putting some close together makes it seem more accidentally scattered:


Technique 2: Line them up:

Supplies mostly Crate Paper Sleigh Ride

Putting circles in a line is satisfying somehow. It is both linear and curvy, so it appeals to the part of me that likes things ordered, but also the part of me that likes to rebel! 

The theme of lined-up circles is repeated on both the background papers too, which unifies the card all together. And then it was a little too 'lined-up' for me, so I had to rebel further with a random misting of dots at the top of the card:


Technique 3: Cluster them:

Supplies mostly My Mind's Eye All is Bright

You don't have to cluster circles in the middle of a card or project, it would look equally good at a corner or edge of something. And you don't have to cluster as many circles together either - a cluster of 3 or four looks great too. 

To cluster some circles you need to place them as close together as possible, to make a feature of it. My centre circle is actually overlapping the brad and buttons circles, which helps to draw the eye in, as it's like something is secret and hidden, so you eye looks a little closer. Again I've used a variety of sizes to stop things looking too organised or linear:


Be Inspired:
  • Chose the techniques of scattering, lining-up, or clustering to place some shapes on your next project
  • Make a series of something eg. cards or tags, keeping a 'design theme' in mind (not an occasion theme), but making each item in the series a bit different
  • Try placing some elements together, in a line or scattered, but varying the size of them

Don't forget that a comment on this post, or on any of my posts from this weekend, will count as an entry into the Grand Giveaway {NOW CLOSED} but only if you've registered your interest in winning that here!


See you again in 60 minutes!

29 comments:

Jane said...

great cards, love the circle idea

Scrapdolly said...

I love the card with the buttons
I have been making cards this afternoon inspired by one of your posts this weekend

Lesley G said...

I adore the third one with the buttons and gems x

humel said...

I'm very impressed that you make all your cards different - I'd get bored if ALL mine were the same, but I still end up making batches, for speed and for convenience! Doesn't look like you're short of ideas though, these are all lovely :)

K said...

Great ideas for cards, really like the colours & layout of the last card, & the santa embellishment in the 1st card.

Sandie said...

I love challenges using just a shape, a colour etc. Specially like the card with buttons.

Jackie said...

Super cards...like you I can't make the same thing twice!! So this is a good idea...similar but different!!

Zahra said...

Beautiful collection of cards, really love the one with the Santa card!

Annie Claxton said...

All three cards are fab, but I love the buttons one best of all :o)

Lea Lacoste said...

gorgeous cards, need to make a bunch for friends & family!

Lisa-Jane said...

Jennifer you are such an enabler! Every time I see that gorgeous MME range I want it even more!

Sally said...

Love the last one - have lots of buttons that I could use in that way.

dogmatix said...

I am not keen on making the same card twice either and always struggle with how long it seems to take me. But I hadn't thought about picking a theme like you have to ease the process....thanks for sharing that idea and definately putting it into practice next week for my as yet unmade xmas cards :-)

Lou said...

i make batches too. i'd never get cards made if i had to think of lots of different one. Love yours x

Miriam Prantner said...

Great cards! My favorite is the last one, love how you put the brads and buttons around the center circle.

Margie said...

Beautiful cards! Love them all!

scrappymo! said...

Wow, that third aqua and red one is so fabulous!
Your circle cards look great.

Julie Baswell said...

Circles are universal. Who doesn't love them. There are so many things that you can do with them.

To boldly polish said...

I love the one with the buttons. The clustering looks good, but so does the scattering - can't really go wrong with circles.

Julie H said...

wow, good on you, making individual Christmas cards! I have to do them as a production line or I just can't even face the prospect!

hotpotato said...

I love the circles idea.

furrypig said...

my brain is already bursting with all the fab ideas! I think I should try and do a series of dates for JYC to try and get me organised this year!!

Fay aka Beautifullily said...

You've done a great job with all your cards.

Maria Ontiveros said...

The circles are great, but I love that Santa card!!!
Rinda

Lizzie said...

Jolly nice cards - and very different! I love the Santa card best, though the buttons one is a close second.

Marilize said...

Love, love, love the cluster card!

Circles are my favourite crafting shape and I love these eyecandy creations from you :)

Jackie said...

A layout with scattered footballs!!!
http://www.trimcraft.co.uk/projectinfo.php?pid=109245

Karen said...

Great cards!

Karen said...

Great cards!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...