Saturday 17 November 2012

A Winter / Christmas Colour Combination

(This post is part of my Frosty Festivities Blog Event)

I thought it would be fun to create a colour combination that I wouldn't normally use, and then make a project inspired by it.

Here's my colour combination:


Pale Blue - Purple - Gold - Silver

The frostiness of pale blue and silver always makes me think of winter, and the richness of purple and gold seems perfect for Christmas. So even though I don't usually use purple at all, let along with these other colours, I thought I'd give it a try!

I made this 'Noel' Tag:


Step 1: I cut an old piece of purple Christmas paper using my Slice Design Cutter and the Fa La La card - it's cut on the 4" setting. Then some pale blue Pink Paislee City Sidewalks paper was cut using the same shape on the 3.5" setting. 

Step 2: I adhered these together and then stuck the purple onto a piece of pale blue cardstock, which I cut to match the shape. I stitched some Pink Paislee Artisan ribbon, that had been coloured with Gold Lame Heidi Swapp Spritz, accross the lower half of the tag.

Step 3: I cut the 'Noel' sentiment from white cardstock with the Fa La La card too, on the 2" setting. I drew around the edges of the letters with a gold gel pen. The sentiment is stuck to the tag with 3D foam dots.

Step 4: Some gold ribbon was stitched at the top of the tag. Finally I scattered some Papermania Shimmer Dome Stickers and some Hero Arts Clear Gemstones for the touch of silver:


I'm not sure yet whether I'll attach it to a gift, or layer it on a card or layout! So many options.

Be Inspired:
  • Use this colour combination on a project
  • Make a tag without knowing what it will be for yet
  • Cut some shapes using a die-cutter or shape template, layering up several shapes all together

Don't forget that a comment on this post, or on any of my posts from this weekend, will count as an entry into the Grand Giveaway {NOW CLOSED} - but only if you've registered your interest in winning that here!

Have you ever put these colours together before?

Thanks for all the fantastic comments so far, I'm reading every single one and enjoying them so much - quite a few have made me laugh out loud or nod my head in agreement! I'll see you again tomorrow for even more festivities. x



30 comments:

Annie Claxton said...

That is such a sumptuous combination of colours - love it! :o)

Lou said...

this combination works well on your tag - it is lovely.

humel said...

Oh wow, yes, lovely seasonal combo! I never think to put silver and gold together, it's either one or the other for me, but they work so well with these other colours :)

Lesley G said...

Very pretty, on a card, less likely to be thrown away!

Sandie said...

I don't think I have ever put gold and silver together, looking good!

scrappyjacky said...

Sumptuous is a lovely way to describe these colours....a great winter combo.
I love using red and teal on christmas cards....not a colour combo I tend to use at any other time.

Miriam Prantner said...

What an elegant color combination! It's festive and regal!

eClaire said...

I didn't think this colour combo would work, but they look lovely on your tag

dogmatix said...

They do look good together. I have seen lots of colours that I would not have thought to put together, especially for Christmas.

Jackie said...

Tag is super...love all the colours together!! Wouldn't normally put silver and gold but they look good!!

Tracy said...

These colours would be a challenge for me. But you really rocked it with your tag :)

Margie said...

Beautiful gift tag!

Ashley Calder said...

This colour combo is definitely Christmas-y! Makes me think of the Three Wise Men.

scrappymo! said...

i am so not a fan of purple but have forced myself to use it lately and actually finished 2 projects with purple in them!
It is hard to create withsomething you never use, isn't it?.

The NOEL and the banner on your tag are great!

Julie Baswell said...

Blue and gold. Isn't that school colors? Seriously tho, love the tag. The colors work.

Kirsty.A said...

I love this colour combination. Really chilly and glittery

Anonymous said...

That's a great combination. I've used pale blue with silver before but haven't actually combined all four. Great!

Zahra said...

Beautiful, love the purple and gold additions! Noel looks lovely, too!

Julie H said...

I would never have thought to use silver and gold together, but it looks beautiful in this combination!

hotpotato said...

lovely scrummy colours

Jackie said...

I had a play last night with my Tim Holtz stamps and inks and made some tags!
http://www.trimcraft.co.uk/projectinfo.php?pid=109222

Fay aka Beautifullily said...

Lovely colour combo, never think of using gold and silver together

Scrapdolly said...

ooh that is a really festive combination - makes me think of the three wise men and kings and nativities.

Maria Ontiveros said...

I love that holiday palette!
Rinda

furrypig said...

ooh I really wasn't sure about the colours initially but the way you have combined them works really well.

Marilize said...

Nope, I've never done these colour combos before, but thinking this year is the one to steer clear of the traditional red and green for a change.

Loving your tag and think you should use it in your album :)

KraftyKaren said...

I wasn't too sure of this colour combo but now that I have tried it, it really does work. Beautiful tag!!

Lisa-Jane said...

That's beautiful! I love purple but its so hard to work with on scrapbook pages isn't it?!

Karen said...

Great combo, and not one I'd thought of.

Missus Wookie said...

I changed my stickles colour for you...

http://mrswookieswanderings.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/creating-cards-making-pattern.html

Thanks for the inspiration :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...