Friday 24 September 2010

The Paper Variety and LSNED

There's a new challenge blog called The Paper Variety, and today I finished a layout for their second challenge. It's a recipe challenge to use borders, autumnal colours, and inspiration from a movie for your title or journaling. Here's my layout (click to enlarge):



I made a border for the whole page by making a crumpled paper frame. I took a 12x12 piece of Urban Rhapsody 'Points of Interest' flat paper by K&Co, cut an 8x8 square out of the middle, and then spritzed it all over with water. Then I gently crumpled it all up, and flatened it again a bit, shaping the paper how I wanted it to be when dry. I let it dry almost completely - then I finished it off with a with a heat gun! Once dry I handstiched it to a piece of 'carob' Bazill Basics using wool of the same shade as the hat in the photo. I quite liked the frame, but the page was a bit too brown, so I cut a thin strip off the edges of the carob cardstock and then mounted it onto pink Papermania cardstock, but you can't see this very clearly in the pic as it's only a narrow edge.


We'd been watching Mulan just before I saw the challenge so I used a quote from there: "The greatest gift, and honour, is having you for a daughter." And as my daughter is wearing the hat that was a gift from Sian, I talked about this too - as it's a treasure to know that there's lovely geneous people out there in the world (and a lot of them are bloggers / crafters!)

You can see the challenge here, they have this fab kit up for grabs from The Treasure Box Club:


I also have some LSNED pages to show you, I'm catching up a bit, but still have a few to do! Click on any to enlarge:





Finally (blimey, I had a lot to show you today), my layout for my second Fiskarettes DT project:



Using lots of Fiskars stamps and inks, and their self-inking stamp press. If you want more details on how this was put together see here.

I shall try and post a couple more LSNED pages tomorrow! xx

13 comments:

Lea said...

I LOVE that border you made!!! The stitching is perfect, and love the flower!!! The LO with the stamps is awesome!!! What a great use of the stamps!

Melissa said...

A very eye-catching page. I love the crumpled paper look.

Angi Barrs said...

Love the crumpled paper and the journaling. Awesome layout. Thanks for playing with us at The Paper Variety.

Sian said...

Wow, what a lovely surprise! I'm so glad she has enjoyed her hat - I know I have certainly enjoyed your beautiful page today and it has made me think again how lucky I am to be part of the blogging world x

Shannon said...

That is a great layout and I love the sentiment behind it!!! :) You did a great job with the challenge!!!

debs14 said...

Would never have thought of crumpling up wet paper to make a textured layout. What a lovely page!

lisaplus6 said...

i love the crumpled paper... it really adds such a lovely touch to your lo! thanks for playing along with us at TPV :)

Darlene S. said...

Your style is so unique and ultra cool! I really enjoy all of your creativeness! I especially love your LSNED book! :)

Denise said...

Gorgeous page, I love the crumpled paper too and great colours x

Rachel Brett said...

Great techniques Jen, I like the last page with the different stamps. :)

Suzy said...

Gorgeous layout! Love the crumpled paper technique. Good luck and thanks for joining The Paper Variety ! :)

Abby Beard said...

Beautiful page, love all the distressing! Thanks for joining the fun at The Paper Variety! :)

Anonymous said...

ha, I will try out my thought, your post give me some good ideas, it's really awesome, thanks.

- Norman

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...