Friday, 24 September 2010

The Paper Variety and LSNED

There's a new challenge blog called The Paper Variety, and today I finished a layout for their second challenge. It's a recipe challenge to use borders, autumnal colours, and inspiration from a movie for your title or journaling. Here's my layout (click to enlarge):



I made a border for the whole page by making a crumpled paper frame. I took a 12x12 piece of Urban Rhapsody 'Points of Interest' flat paper by K&Co, cut an 8x8 square out of the middle, and then spritzed it all over with water. Then I gently crumpled it all up, and flatened it again a bit, shaping the paper how I wanted it to be when dry. I let it dry almost completely - then I finished it off with a with a heat gun! Once dry I handstiched it to a piece of 'carob' Bazill Basics using wool of the same shade as the hat in the photo. I quite liked the frame, but the page was a bit too brown, so I cut a thin strip off the edges of the carob cardstock and then mounted it onto pink Papermania cardstock, but you can't see this very clearly in the pic as it's only a narrow edge.


We'd been watching Mulan just before I saw the challenge so I used a quote from there: "The greatest gift, and honour, is having you for a daughter." And as my daughter is wearing the hat that was a gift from Sian, I talked about this too - as it's a treasure to know that there's lovely geneous people out there in the world (and a lot of them are bloggers / crafters!)

You can see the challenge here, they have this fab kit up for grabs from The Treasure Box Club:


I also have some LSNED pages to show you, I'm catching up a bit, but still have a few to do! Click on any to enlarge:





Finally (blimey, I had a lot to show you today), my layout for my second Fiskarettes DT project:



Using lots of Fiskars stamps and inks, and their self-inking stamp press. If you want more details on how this was put together see here.

I shall try and post a couple more LSNED pages tomorrow! xx

13 comments:

Lea said...

I LOVE that border you made!!! The stitching is perfect, and love the flower!!! The LO with the stamps is awesome!!! What a great use of the stamps!

Mel said...

A very eye-catching page. I love the crumpled paper look.

Cokie Pop Paper Boutique said...

Love the crumpled paper and the journaling. Awesome layout. Thanks for playing with us at The Paper Variety.

Sian said...

Wow, what a lovely surprise! I'm so glad she has enjoyed her hat - I know I have certainly enjoyed your beautiful page today and it has made me think again how lucky I am to be part of the blogging world x

Shannon said...

That is a great layout and I love the sentiment behind it!!! :) You did a great job with the challenge!!!

debs14 said...

Would never have thought of crumpling up wet paper to make a textured layout. What a lovely page!

lisaplus5 said...

i love the crumpled paper... it really adds such a lovely touch to your lo! thanks for playing along with us at TPV :)

Darlene S. said...

Your style is so unique and ultra cool! I really enjoy all of your creativeness! I especially love your LSNED book! :)

Denise said...

Gorgeous page, I love the crumpled paper too and great colours x

Rachel B said...

Great techniques Jen, I like the last page with the different stamps. :)

Suzy said...

Gorgeous layout! Love the crumpled paper technique. Good luck and thanks for joining The Paper Variety ! :)

Abby said...

Beautiful page, love all the distressing! Thanks for joining the fun at The Paper Variety! :)

Anonymous said...

ha, I will try out my thought, your post give me some good ideas, it's really awesome, thanks.

- Norman

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...