Tuesday 14 September 2010

beautiful people

I am lucky enough to know lots of people who are beautiful inside and out, and I've been making layouts about a couple of them. The first is about my best friend Rosie (click to enlarge):


(Supplies: Papermania light yellow cardstock, Daisy D's Beacon Hill 'Bull & Finch Pub' paper, Collage Press journaling card, Papermania doiley stamp, Studio G flower stamp, American Crafts 'Vera' vinyl pink letter stickers, Papermania brad making refill kit, book paper, envelope paper, Bunty annual, Alice in Wonderland playing card, handmade paper, lace trim, old key, bead from a bracelet, heart earring, white ribbon cut from inside t-shirt, Magnetic Poetry word bead, pink and blue acrylic paints.)

I followed Sketchy Thursdays October GDT challenge sketch:


As the sponsor this month is Gauche Alchemy, I decided to go with their ethos and try to use lots of upcycled items. I met Rosie when we were on a literature and writing degree, and now we have a business running creative writing workshops, so a lot of the items were book related! I particularly like the Alice in Wonderland playing card, which is from a card game I bought about 7 years ago and have never played, so I decided the pack would be put to more use if it was integrated into my stash:


You can also see in the above pic a bead and a key - I have a box full of old jewellery bits that I can add to projects (the heart earring on top of the journaling card is also from this box), and they're tied together using white ribbon cut from inside a t-shirt (the bits you're supposed to use to hang it up with). There's some lace trim I bought at a car boot sale stitched onto the page underneath them. The comic strip looking paper in the background is from an old Bunty annual, I scanned the page in and then applied a sepia effect before printing it so it fitted my colour scheme.

To keep with the literary theme I made two flowers out of book paper. As we also run a business together I made the other two flowers out of envelopes - the kind you get statements and bills etc. in - have you ever noticed the cool patterns some of these have inside? A friend pointed it out to me recently and I couldn't believe I hadn't realised it before!


The strip of paper that's tucked behind the flowers was handmade by Rosie, and the brad on the left was given to me by her for my last birthday, so this page is about her in more ways than one! She saw the layout this afternoon and I think she likes my ode to her!

The other layout I have to show you is of my sister Katy and my daughter, looking all glamorous on Swanage beach even though the wind was blowing sand into their faces (click to enlarge):


(Supplies: Papermania black, pink and blue cardstocks, Thickers 'Roller Rink' glitter white letter stickers, Fiskars 'Everywhere - Square' punch, Fiskars 'Christmas 2' and 'Scrapbook' clear stamp sets, Papermania foam swirl stamp, Fiskars 'Christmas' shape template, Sakura moonlight blue Gellyroll pen, Papermania blue shimmer dots, Collage Press journaling card, pink and white acrylic paints, Brilliance white ink pad, pink button brads, lace trim.)

I feel a bit drab when I'm with them, they always look like movie stars!

This was my first DT project for the Fiskarettes blog, you can see details on how I put the layout together here. The harlequin style diamond pattern was made with a brand new punch they sent me - not even available to the public yet - makes me feel special! It's a magnetic punch that can cut windows anywhere on the page. It will come in really handy for aperture cards.

I have a lot of LSNED pages to show you, I'll post them tomorrow. I'm going shopping in the morning with Rosie, to find a few bits for her wedding next year, very excited!

xxx

12 comments:

Rosie Bird-Hawkins said...

Wow, that Rosie sure sounds lovely...
Seriously, I love the layout and the detail you've gone into for the embellishments - they work wonderfully and the whole feel and look of the piece is perfect - for both mine and Katie's. I love the black and pink diamond contrast on Katie's - very glam.I think you've really captured how you think of us. xxx

Lea said...

What a beautiful LO!!! I love all the upcycled elements and what great stories behind them. The black and pink LO is striking!!! Love the whit elements on the LO.

Unknown said...

Both of these layouts are so pretty... and really show off your diverse style too! I'm so glad I found your blog and I'd like to tell you what landed me here in the first place... The Creative Team of Papercraft Star has been out visiting blogs of talented papercrafters like yourself to spread the word about the new challenge blog, Papercraft Star. Our blog is unique in that we offer participants and the public an opportunity to vote on their favorite projects for each weekly challenge. The winner then receives a beautiful "People's Choice Award" button to display on their blog. Gifts from sponsors are also awarded to winners and/or participants of the challenges for any given month. The weekly challenges are posted way in advance in order to give you plenty of time to get your project ready to enter too! If you are not already a follower of Papercraft Star, or haven't entered any challenges yet, then we hope this note from us will encourage you to come on over and meet the growing number of talented papercrafters that gather at Papercraft Star's challenge blog as well as the Papercraft Star Message Boards and Facebook page. Right now, you can enter to win a $25.00 gift certificate for papercraft star just by becoming a follower and leaving a comment on the $25.00 gift certificate post. We look forward to seeing you soon! http://www.papercraftstar.blogspot.com

Sian said...

I just love your layout about Rosie - especially the Alice card, it's perfect! I took a look at your website after you said that you had been working on it, and I'm seriously impressed. What an amazing business to have..love it.

debs14 said...

Love the mention of Bunty Annual! I used to get Bunty every week when I was little. Beautiful layouts, so many lovely little embellishments and they all fit in perfectly.

Staci Taylor said...

these are beautiful!! love you you used that sketch on the first one!

Polka Dot Door Designs said...

Great page for the ST GDT. I love the eclectic, vintage mix of elements.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wowwwwwwwwwwwww! This is BEAUTIFUL!! Loveeeeeeeeee the photo, the colors....and LOVING the misting!! Thanks soooooooooooo much for playing along with Sketchy Thursdays! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

heidi said...

how very cool to make layouts about your friends!

Clare said...

Love the flowers you made, brilliant that you recycled envelopes too!! great idea!!

Anonymous said...

Love it! Love the recycled elements!The misting..just love it all!

lisa said...

Jennifer, this is such a beautiful LO. So much work. A lovely subject to scrap too : )

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...