Sunday 1 July 2012

Storytelling Sunday... My Disorganised Husband

It's time for Storytelling Sunday, as begun by Sian at From High in the Sky - see her post for today and the linky list right here. Pull up a chair, grab a cup of tea, and read stories from all around!

I asked my hubby what story I could tell this Sunday -one that could relate to organising (in case you're new here, I have a little bit of an organising theme going on this weekend - 22 posts so far since Friday afternoon!). Hubby said I could talk about how organised he used to be, compared to what he's like now. 

But all I keep thinking about are occasions from the past where his organising skills were not the best...


  • In 2003 we went to Edinburgh, flying from Bristol Airport. But we almost didn't get there, because hubby (then boyfriend - we married in 2008) forgot to put petrol in the car - there was a tiny amount left in the tank, but because we lived on an incline the petrol was all tipping to the wrong side when we tried to drive away to the airport. So, despite the fact it was about 4am in the morning, we had to phone a friend to drive us to the airport! (Thanks to Rosie for recently reminding me of this incident!)
  • In 2004 we moved into a new flat - our first home together as a couple, as we had shared with friends before that. We were proud of our rental flat as it was brand new and all shiny and well finished. The landlords had been very adamant that if we put up any picture hooks or anything, it would all have to be put back to the perfect finish when we moved out. We decided to put up some hooks on the back of the bedroom door, to hang our dressing gowns on, and I left hubby alone thinking he was perfectly capable to manage this task... until I came back 10 minutes later to see he'd put the hooks on the wrong side of the door! He'd been holding the door open, so, from where he was standing, the hooks were inside the bedroom! We took them out and tried to repair the door as best as possible, but it was always noticeable and certainly not the perfect finish the flat had started with!
  • And in 2005 hubby decided to organise a trip away for valentines day. I was a little ill about a week before, but still looking forward to our escape - I knew where we were going away, but not the destination. I was hoping maybe to Paris, and I may have dropped a few hints in this direction. We drove all the way from Bath to Gatwick, with me getting more excited all the time, and we pulled up in a car park opposite the airport - I started to gather my things. Then my love says 'oh, we're not there quite yet', and drives to a hotel... right around the corner. Our romantic escape was at Gatwick. Ho hum! Sure, it was a nice hotel and all... but not really the location I was hoping for! (He did tell me afterwards he'd been planning to get a last minute trip to Paris, but because I'd been ill he changed his mind. We've still not been there together!)


My husband, not the world's best organiser... but I love him anyway!




I hope you enjoyed my Sunday story. Remember that a comment on this post, or on any of my posts from this weekend, will count as an entry into the Grand Giveaway {NOW CLOSED} - but only if you've registered your interest in winning that here!

See you in an hour! x

30 comments:

debs14 said...

Great stories, in with the theme of your weekend of organisational skills! Love the one about the door hooks - bet he was annoyed with himself when he had to do it all over again on the other side.

Annie Claxton said...

hehehe, that did make me chuckle - especially the hooks on the door :)

Irene said...

Got to love him. Hope you get to Paris one day. Mention to him that the train arrives in the Centre of Paris with not an airport in sight.

Sally said...

Bless him! Paris is somewhere I would love to go with my OH too....one day x

Abi said...

ha ha! This made me chuckle! I love the hotel story. x

Missus Wookie said...

Oh dear - Wookie organized one trip in our nearly 30 years together, he'd much rather stay home! Glad your OH has improved and is willing to feature in STS :)

scrappyjacky said...

This made me smile....sounds a bit like my husband!!

Carin McDonough said...

Great stories, the door hook one really made me chuckle :)

Margie said...

Love your stories-my hubby is exactly the opposite-sooo much more organized than me!

Julie Baswell said...

Enjoyed those stories. You should make a scrapbook/journal of these things and future ones. Your children would love it some day.

Lou said...

i see a scrapbook page for this story too. Bless him!!

Cherie said...

Ha. Loved the stories! I feel like my husband is the same way sometimes! :)

Clair said...

Ah, Gatwick. That most romantic of getaways - still, perhaps when there's no reason to leave your room..... :)

Mel said...

Gatwick - that must have been quite a disappointment! We got engaged in Paris and had an amazing mini break but the boyf had booked a hotel an hour's train ride away from the capital - so he didn't get it all quite right!

Emily Mae said...

Great stories! Haha.

Patricia said...

Great Sunday stories! Thanks for sharing them!

Nathalie said...

:) I can't believe he let you post this!

Melissa said...

What great memories! Even when things don't turn out perfectly, it's always fun when you can reminisce about them & laugh.

furrypig said...

bless him at least he tried! I just wonder if things have improved since!!?

Counterfeit Kit Challenge said...

Too funny! Now he needs to tell a story on YOU! :)

Bethany

Unknown said...

hilarious...does he read what you've written or are you safe?

hueisei said...

I love the story especially the hotel part. Thanks for sharing.

Caroline Hackney said...

The story about Paris - ouch! I do hope he takes you there one day; it's a fabulous city.

It sounds like you have a great husband if he lets you write stories like this... assuming he does actually know you've put them on your blog. ;)

Jimjams said...

LOL what a let down!!! We too had a flat to "restore" when we moved out - Tippex in the pin holes in the white walls did the trick!

Lisa-Jane said...

Opposites attract huh? ;-)

Unknown said...

The hooks on the door were certainly the funniest 'organised' moment :-)

Wanda said...

We all know that no one is perfect, but your post goes to show that each person is unique! Your hubby's organizing skills might be lacking, but they do make for some entertaining stories!

Anonymous said...

Oh love the door episode and do hope you get to Paris one day soon.
Now you've got me thinking of my husband and his lack of organization - thank heavens one of us is organized. :)

Susanne said...

Oh you are brave, telling so many stories on the husband. I dare not.

Sian said...

Ha! Jennifer, thank you for the laugh which is just what I needed in the middle of my unpacking! Thank you so much for taking time in your mega-weekend to share a Storytelling Sunday. I'm reading all the stories first and then I promise I'll be back to savour your Organisational genius :) I'm looking forward to it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...