Sunday 20 November 2011

slip-slide, a sketch challenge entry

Hello all.

First of all I want to say a big THANK-YOU! to everyone who commented on my last post. It really did cheer me up a lot to know that you enjoyed looking at my layouts. And thanks for the encouragement to keep going, on Friday I was a bit sulky and ready to shut my craft-room door for a while, but after reading all your kind comments I decided it would be better to just plunge straight back in with another project, and keep going as if nothing had happened to dent my confidence. It's working so far, as I finished off the below layout and am halfway through creating a card. So thanks again for perking me up and keeping me crafting, you guys are amazing!

The layout I have just finished off is for a sketch challenge over at the My Mind's Eye blog (the challenge ends today - nothing like a deadline to get me to finish something off!), to use this sketch by Anam Stubbington), and as it's autumn, to include the colour brown:


Supplies: My Mind's Eye: Lost&Found2 Rosy 'Best of Friends' Dotted Paper and 6x6 paper pad, 12 Days of Christmas 'Deck the Halls' Paper, Rosy 'Ordinary' Decorative Brads, 'Everything' Stamps and 'Ordinary' Label Stickers, 12 Days of Christmas Chipboard Accessories and Rhinestones, Lost&Found Union Square Glittered Alpha Sticker, My Little Shoebox Mini Alphabet Stickers 'Cream', brown thread, a brown Faber Castell pen for journaling, gold glitter, white acrylic paint, VersaMagic Jumbo Java Chalk Ink Pad, Mod Podge.


I used a piece of paper from the MME Rosy 6" paper pad to make a paper pleat, by spritzing a 1.5"x6" strip with water, pinching it gently together, and then flattening it out a little and shaping it how I wanted it to end up. I then left it to dry (can be sped up a bit with a heat gun). When dry I dipped the bottom edge into Mod Podge and then into gold glitter, and leaving to dry again (this didn't take too long):




I made a journaling block by gutting a rectangle of the main green dotty paper before sticking anything else onto it, and turning the rectangle over to the 'b' side which has text printed on it. To create a space to journal on I painted a block of white acrylic paint, and to finish the block off I dipped it into Mod Podge and glitter the same way as I had with the paper pleat: 


Underneath the paper pleat, and under the embellishments in the top right corner, are pieces of light brown paper from the Rosy pad which I cut into semi-circles and then used scallop-edge scissors and my Cropodile Big Bite to make them look like doilies:


I love these banner-like alphas, they are a really fun finish to the page!

Now I'm off to cook steak for dinner - my Dad's down for the weekend so he bought some for us. We've had a nice weekend so far, yesterday was nice and sunny. I'll be back later with a couple of photos and to announce the winner of the smash-style book giveaway.

Thanks for reading! x

1 comment:

Alison said...

thanks for sharing the Modge-Podge and glitter tip...fab LO!
Alison xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...